Serena Williams “Believe”
"Believe in yourself when no one else does" — a mantra that resonates deeply with many, and one that is poignantly captured in this portrayal of Serena Williams. This marks my maiden endeavor in depicting a female athlete, and what a monumental choice to begin with! Until this point, I hadn't been commissioned to represent any female athlete.
Serena Williams is, without a shadow of doubt, the quintessential GOAT (Greatest of All Time) in tennis. Her unparalleled dominance over the sport remained unmatched for a remarkable duration. Recognizing the gravity of this project, I dedicated countless hours studying her illustrious career, achievements, and drew inspiration from the film, "King Richard."
This artwork is rich in detail:
- Serena's iconic all-white tennis attire stands out, symbolic of her pristine career.
- On closer inspection, her watch reads "GOAT," a nod to her unparalleled stature.
- The tennis racket weaves the number '23' into its netting, marking the number of titles she clinched over her career.
- The backdrop subtly showcases the famed US Open venue.
- Several tennis balls are scattered, with one bearing the GOAT emblem.
- Every major championship trophy in women's tennis graces the painting: the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup, the Simonne-Mathieu Cup, The Wimbledon Venus Plate, the US Open trophy, and her four US Olympic gold medals.
Through this piece, I've strived to capture the essence of Serena's legendary journey. It's not just a painting; it's a tribute.